Last month, Google introduced new ways to experience your city with Google Maps—helping you find the best spots to eat, drink, and play based on the things you’re into. Many of these features have started to roll out out on Android devices worldwide on June 12. Read on for 7 tips on how you can use Google Maps to see your neighborhood in a whole new light.
- Use the redesigned Explore tab to get quick recommendations for restaurants, cafes, mamaks, and more in any area you’re interested in. Whether you’re staying local or planning a trip, you can always find the perfect spot no matter where you are in the world.
- Find the best burger in town or track the top brunch spots in the city with trending lists from local experts and Google’s algorithms.
- Indulge your inner foodie by automatically keeping track of your progress against any of the restaurants featured in the trending lists. So if you’re on a mission to try the 10 best curry laksa in your area and you’ve only tried 5, Google Maps will note that for you so you can spend less time remembering where you’ve been and more time – surprise! – eating curry laksa. 🍜
- Know what’s going on. The new Explore tab now surfaces the top events and activities happening in your area. You can see photos, descriptions, and filter by categories like “good for kids”, “cheap” or “indoor or outdoor” so you can find just the right activity to fit your mood.
- Make plans faster. If you have Location History turned on, each restaurant or bar now features “Your match”, a numeric rating that tells you how likely you are to enjoy a place based on your own preferences – so you can save time deciding where to go and more time doing the things you love.
- Tell Google Maps about your food and drink preferences. In your settings, you can select the types of cuisines and restaurants you like, along with what you’re not so into – so Google Maps can surface better dining recommendations as you eat your way around town.
- Get food and drink updates about neighborhoods you’re interested in. The new “For you” tab will keep you in the know about everything happening in areas you care about – whether it’s near your home, work, or a city you visit frequently. Following a neighborhood allows you to instantly see if there’s a hot new restaurant in the area, a new cafe that’s a perfect match for your tastes, or if one of your favorite dining spots is in the news.
To start exploring, update your Google Maps app from the Play Store today. Follow @GoogleMaps on Twitter or Instagram for more tips on how you can use Google Maps to get around and discover your neighborhood.
Google’s mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful. Through products and platforms like Search, Maps, Gmail, Android, Google Play, Chrome and YouTube, Google plays a meaningful role in the daily lives of billions of people and has become one of the most widely-known companies in the world. Google is a subsidiary of Alphabet Inc.