One should be comfortable when travelling. However, one should also never discount good things that can happen while travelling.
First things first, being comfortable is a whole lot different from not-being-bothered about how you look. Presentation and the first impression is everything; even when you are running across terminals. It takes only 7 seconds for someone to size-you-up on the first meeting and you want to make sure, that sizing-up is a good one.
Do understand that giving a first good impression might open doors for something good that is to come. Intelligence, wit, EQ and all those things that set you apart intellectually are definitely important; so is the first impression. In fact, it is not too much for me to say one is dependant on the other. Human beings are visual creatures; some may say fortunately and others might disagree but one thing is for sure, it really does not take much to make that first impression works for you.
That said, here is my take on being presentable, even when you are on the way to be at 35,000 feet up in the sky.
- Opt for wrinkle-free fabric. Choose a loose, breathable fabric to stay comfortable all day.
- Aircraft tends to be cold; “fridgy” I call it. First, decide on basic outfit then layer. Layering helps with cold and most definitely a great fashion statement. Stretchy jeans or tights, t-shirts & long cardigans are my favourites. Depending on destination; if it is a colder place, bring along a jacket in your hand-carry to wear at arrival.
- A scarf is indeed a versatile piece. Wrap yourself, put them around your neck, use as a blanket. It even folds-up as a pillow.
- For the feet, nothing screams comfort & efficiency like a pair of sneakers. Easy for those dash-for-planes on transits too.
- Try not to wear things that will set off security sensors. Accessories and heels most often than not, are sensor-sensitive. If you are anything like me, have heels in your carry-on and wear them before leaving the aircraft for that arrival gait.
- For the ladies, our struggle for a good airport or travelling handbag is real. We need our lappy, book, energy bar, wallet, passport, mints and make-up purse to be part of our travelling-handbag ensemble, right? But do remember, you need one that is big enough to carry your essentials but small enough to be tucked under the seat.
- A travelling essential, the sunglasses. It turns you up to few notches; you will look put together; and those eye bags from lack of sleep, camouflaged!