Snap Inc. (NYSE: SNAP) today announced that it has hired its first employee in Singapore underlining its commitment to Southeast Asia. Anubhav Nayyar will be part of the International Markets team, led by its Managing Director, Nana Murugesan.
The International Markets team is responsible for Snap’s growth strategy, expanding company operations in key global markets, driving cultural relevance, and building its community with a range of programs and local partnerships including with telecom providers and OEMs. Anubhav will lead Snap’s efforts across the Southeast Asia region.
Prior to joining Snap, Anubhav spent seven years at calling and messaging app Viber where he was the Senior Director & Head of Asia Pacific. Anubhav was Viber’s first regional employee, and was responsible for establishing it as a leading messaging app in multiple countries in Asia as well as setting up operations across the region.
Snap plans to open an office in Singapore later this year. The company is monitoring the global COVID-19 pandemic, and following local guidance by encouraging remote working. Once the situation eases, the company will accelerate plans to establish a local presence.
The Southeast Asia region has grown in importance for the company over the past 12 months and Snap has undertaken a number of initiatives:
- Localised Augmented Reality (AR) Lenses and creative tools across Southeast Asia including holidays like Chinese New Year, Thaipusam, Vesak Day, and Kartini Day as well as event such as Java Jazz festival and Football Association of Malaysia matches against Thailand and Indonesia
- Provided promotional offers and strategic partnerships with OEMs such as Vivo and telecom providers, including Indosat and Maxis
- Conducted multiple beginner Lens Studio workshops at local secondary schools and universities including Sunway and Taylor’s universities in Malaysia, and The University of Indonesia to support the development of AR skills in the region
- Held intermediate workshops, monthly virtual and in-person meet-ups, and ongoing mentorship for AR Lens creators, and an online course tailored for the region hosted with OpenLearning for developers and AR enthusiasts to advance their Lens Studio skills
- Verified local Snap Stars across fitness, music, fashion, and lifestyle categories to create locally relevant content
Jared Grusd, Chief Strategy Officer, Snap said, “We are excited about the opportunity to grow our business in Southeast Asia. It is one of the most vibrant and culturally diverse parts of the world. We are inspired by the response from our community in this region who embrace communicating visually with their close friends and family.”
Anubhav Nayyar, Director of Southeast Asia Market Development, Snap said, “Southeast Asia as we know it is a geographically expansive and populous region, filled with rich, diverse cultures. Snap wants to celebrate and support this diversity and I can’t wait to get started building and growing our strategic partnerships, local content, and community across the region.”
The Singapore office also strengthens Snap’s support for its multinational brand advertising partners based in the APAC region.
Kathryn Carter, General Manager for ANZ, SEA & HK at Snap, said, “We are excited to work closely with clients in a region, which has always been respected for its digital prowess, innovation, and embrace of new technologies. There is a huge opportunity for brands to expand their reach across the region, and we are committed to helping local and regional advertisers. Snapchat reaches 85 percent of 13-24 year olds in Australia, and our growing audience in the Southeast Asia region offers advertisers a unique opportunity to reach a generation of consumers who are driving the post COVID-19 recovery.”