The Singapore Tourism Board (STB) unveils #TravelThrowback, a community effort aimed at uniting passionate travellers to promote the beauty of Southeast Asia. While travel restrictions may still be in place in many parts of the world, this social media initiative is intended to spark interest in Southeast Asia and encourage travellers to prioritise Southeast Asia as a region to explore once international travel resumes fully.
Mr John Conceicao, Executive Director, Southeast Asia, of the Singapore Tourism Board said: “Tourism has been one of the key economic sectors in Southeast Asia that has been hit the hardest in the last few months. When border restrictions are lifted, travellers are likely to make short-haul trips within Southeast Asia rather than plan long-haul holidays. We hope that the #TravelThrowback initiative can showcase the beauty of our region and inspire travellers to explore the hidden spots within Southeast Asia.”
“We know that social media can strongly influence travel decisions, especially for the Early Careers. Among millennial travellers, Instagram can greatly influence the travel destination. Through #TravelThrowback, we want to rally travellers and brands with a passion for Southeast Asia’s rich culture and heritage to share their best memories, stories and experiences, as a visual treat of what Southeast Asia has to offer.”
Join the Community, Share Your Throwback
Instagram travellers across Southeast Asia are invited to share their favourite travel throwbacks from their photo library by using specially created “TravelThrowback” Instagram Effect available on @Visit_Singapore’s Instagram page. With this Instagram Effect users can share their memories across destinations in Southeast Asia and tag their friends and family to challenge them to do the same.
STB will work with various local partners in each Southeast Asian country to welcome other national tourism organisations, tourism providers and travel stakeholders to be a part of this effort to inspire wanderlust for Southeast Asia.
“This is a collective effort by a community who lives, works and plays in Southeast Asia – an authentic voice of advocacy for the return of travellers to the region. #TravelThrowback makes the first steps to encourage intra-Southeast Asia travel, and towards recovery,” adds Mr Conceicao.
How To Participate In #TravelThrowback
- Head to the @Visit_Singapore’s Instagram Page.
- Click on the Browse Effects Icon (located beside the IGTV icon) and download the #TravelThrowback Instagram Effects.
- Users can choose to throwback to ten (10) destinations in Southeast Asia through the #TravelThrowback Instagram Effects. These include: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Head to your own Instagram account.
- Launch IG Stories and select the #TravelThrowback Instagram Effects that you have downloaded.
- Please tag, @Visit_Singapore if you’re sharing a throwback to Singapore.
- Include your throwback travel photo, tag its location and hashtag #TravelThrowback
- Tag three or more of your friends, fans or family on your post and challenge them to share their travel throwback memories too!