Global media intelligence company, Meltwater, has compiled a report highlighting key news media and social media stats around Singapore’s Budget 2021 announcement yesterday.Meltwater-Shares-Key-Social-Media-Stats-Around-Budget-2021
Key highlights include:
- Volume of conversations around the Budget had a steady momentum in the week leading up, peaking on announcement day itself. The bulk of this chatter took place on Twitter & online forums.
- Although most of the conversations were neutral in nature, some key initiatives raised both positive (8%) and negative (6%) sentiments.
- ‘Joy’ and ‘Love’ dominated Singaporean’s emotions, with most of this linked to the Jobs Support Scheme and Household Support Package, while emotions such as ‘Sadness’ and ‘Anger’ could be attributed to measures such as the GST hike.
- Key pillars of conversation were led by the GST hike, followed by the jobs & skills and sustainability initiatives, along with some chatter around the draw in on budget reserves.
- The negative sentiment around the GST hike was 2x higher than the positive sentiment – most of this stemmed from the fact that online purchases would include a GST charge moving forward.
Data collected is based on all public conversations across news media and social media worldwide. Social media channels include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, forums, blogs and YouTube.