It’s superhero season!
Captain Marvel, the first female superhero lead for the comic book movie series from Marvel Studios, was timed to be released in cinemas across the globe last week in conjunction with International Women’s Day (8 Mar). The film has since grossed more than US$455 million in its opening weekend globally, as cinemagoers flocked to watch Captain Marvel battle it out in an intergalactic space adventure to remember.
Brands across Southeast Asia have been quick to jump onto the Captain Marvel bandwagon, sharing posts to drum up publicity and build hype to welcome Marvel’s latest Avenger into the cinematic universe.
Socialbakers, the world’s leading Social Media Marketing platform, took a closer look at the most engaging brands and posts that mentioned Captain Marvel. Here’s what we found:
- On Instagram and Facebook, movie operators and ticketing merchants received the most engagements on their Captain Marvel posts.
- Interestingly, Globe Telecom, a major provider of telecommunications services in the Philippines took the top spot as the most engaging brand on Facebook.
- Brands in Thailand performed exceptionally well on Facebook, representing 2 out of 4 brands – DVD/CD shop Boomerang Shops and supermarket brand Tops Thailand
- Toys ‘R’ Us Singapore was the only Singaporean page that was listed among the top brands on Instagram in Southeast Asia.
- TIX ID a movie ticket buying application from Indonesia and Fully Booked, a bookstore located in the Philippines took the first and second spots on Instagram. In terms of interaction per post, TIX ID was way ahead of the competition, with 1,986 interactions.
- Looking at specific brand posts, we found that Globe Telecom took the lead on Facebook as well, achieving a total of 439 interactions on its post.
- Boomerang Shops dominated the charts on Facebook, securing 4 out of 6 spots.
- On Instagram, TIX ID took the lead with 1,986 interactions on its Instagram post.
- Interestingly, TIX ID, Fully Booked, and Petron Malaysia ranked as the top 3 respectively as the top engaging brand and the brands with the top engaging posts on Instagram.