Irrepressible consumerism once again gripped shoppers during the annual shopping bonanza that is Singles Day as Alibaba toppled last year’s record sales by generating US$38.4 billion of GMV within 24 hours. Regional competitors, have also upped the ante in an increasingly saturated space – both Lazada and Shopee both saw three times the order by 1am than they did last year.
Central to this explosive growth in e-commerce has been the adoption of mobile-first strategies by the leading players, who have identified the mass untapped potential of Southeast Asia’s 324 million mobile internet users and devised various strategies around emerging consumer behaviours. Trends such as conversational commerce and shoppertainment have been leveraged on as marketers increasingly recognize the significance of app marketing performance measurement to run more effective user acquisition and re-engagement campaigns.
Some key statistics generated by AppsFlyer, the global leader in mobile attribution and analytics:
Singles Day 2018 vs Singles Day 2019:
- Revenue = 133% increase
- In-app revenue = 105% increase
- Number of in-app purchases= 111%
- Non-organic (paid) installs = 20% increase
- Organic installs = 10% increase
- Overall installs (organic + non-organic) = 3% decrease
- Retargeting conversions (installs from retargeting campaigns) = 88% increase